Bungalows are a perfect option for anyone looking for something bigger than an apartment but cheaper than a traditional house. So, it’s no wonder that remodelling bungalows has become very popular in the last couple of years.
Renovated and modern bungalows are a very common sight all over Singapore. If you already own a bungalow or you’re considering investing in one, here are six bungalow remodelling ideas that might inspire you.
A Brief History
Bungalows are one of the most popular types of houses to build. They were first introduced to Singapore by the British in the early 19th century (in the 1830s, to be exact). They were usually built in secluded, wooded areas, but nowadays, you can see them anywhere.
Most bungalows in Singapore were built before World War II, and they are an important part of Singapore’s heritage.
Prepare For Remodelling
Before you start your bungalow remodelling adventure, make sure to create a thorough plan and prepare everything in advance. Here are several things you should take into consideration:
● Your Budget – It is of utmost importance to be clear on your finances. If you skip this step and start remodelling, you might be left with a half-finished job due to a lack of funds. Therefore, get quotes from contractors and make sure to set a contingency. That way, you’ll be covered in case of unforeseen issues.
● Plan Layouts – If you are considering any significant structural changes, make sure not to do them without considering the electrics and plumbing plans. This way, you’ll avoid potentially making big mistakes.
● Pay Attention To Storage – If you are moving from a larger place, you might lack storage in your new bungalow. Therefore, get creative and focus on multi-functional furniture. If you are still unable to find a place for important items even after building additional storage space, consider renting a storage unit. It’s a very economical way to keep your valuable stuff safely stored in one place.
● Choose The Right Design – If you are remodelling a bungalow for yourself and not selling it, you want it to represent your personal style.
● Hire Professionals – Make sure to interview several contractors before making your decision. The people you hired should be on the same page as you, so you shouldn’t save money on hiring the right builders. Also, we strongly recommend hiring an architect as you want to take full advantage of your space while still making it look modern.
Bungalow Remodelling Ideas
After you make detailed remodelling plans, it’s time to get to work! We’ve prepared six bungalow remodelling ideas that you can use to turn your bungalow into your dream home.
1. Extend Your Bungalow
If you want to add more space, think about extending the front or rear of your bungalow. In fact, one of the biggest advantages of buying a bungalow is that there is almost always room to add an extension. Even if it means sacrificing a piece of your outdoor space, getting more indoor living space is sometimes essential, especially if you plan or already have kids.
A great idea is to extend the living room or make an open plan kitchen. That way, you’ll remove the line between outdoor and indoor areas as by opening the doors, you’ll already be in your garden or on the deck. You can add bi-folding glass doors to give the space more width by letting more light in.
2. Give The Exterior A Makeover
To make the best first impression, invest in remodelling the exterior of your bungalow. This can simply mean changing the colour, but you can also change the roof or tackle structural problems that might cause more significant issues in the future.
Investing in curb appeal will increase your property’s value. Therefore, consider investing in new doors and windows. Don’t forget your garden – adding contemporary planters is one of the simplest yet very effective ways to make it shine.
3. Make A Deck
One of the easiest bungalow remodelling ideas is to add a deck. Nothing can beat enjoying a cool and fresh evening on the deck at the end of a long summer’s day. Your family and friends will surely love it!
Not only will the deck enhance your bungalow’s aesthetic appeal, but it will also massively influence its value. On top of that, it’s a great way to increase the living space without changing the interior.
Imagine adding a hot tub, barbecue, or planting a herb garden – there are so many outdoor living possibilities you can get by adding a deck.
4. Consider Adding A Second Floor
Adding a second floor is a great way to maximize the existing bungalow’s footprint. This way, you will get extra space to use however you want but without sacrificing your garden.
It’s perfect if you are expanding your family, but even if you are not, you can make a guest bedroom, game room, home office, or anything else that comes to your mind.
If you decide to build a second floor, make sure you obtain all necessary permits. Most importantly, dedicate some time to choose the right architect and builder. Otherwise, you are risking structural stability and potentially generating more cost to repair bad work.
5. Focus On The Kitchen
As the kitchen is the most important room in your home, it’s always worth investing in it. Although it might seem expensive, there are many cost-effective tricks that will make it look great without having to spend too much money.
Extending the rear of your bungalow could be a perfect place to move your kitchen to. When the doors open, you can create a lovely outdoor dining area for you and your family.
The most important thing to remember is that your home represents you, and you should always tend to show your personality and preferences through both its interior and exterior.
Pick your furniture depending on the size of your bungalow. If you lack space, you should make functionality your number one priority. Choose multi-functional furniture and try to find out-of-the-box ideas for getting extra storage space.
When it comes to home features, things like modern central heating and good lighting fixtures are a must. They are essential for your family’s well-being, but they will also massively influence your home’s value if you ever decide to sell it.
A reliable and fast internet connection is crucial nowadays, and we also recommend investing in a solid security system. If your budget allows you, you can even buy some smart home features.
Whether you want to remodel your bungalow for sale or self-occupancy, it is an excellent investment. To make this a successful venture, focus on working with reputable renovation contractors and architects. That’s the only way you can be confident your bungalow’s full potential has been used.
We hope you found our bungalow remodelling ideas valuable and helpful. Do you have any interesting ideas you’d like to share? Let us know by leaving a comment; we’d love to hear your thoughts. Happy remodelling!
Seeking Landed Property Builders in Singapore?
BuildersTalk is a platform that connects property owners to trusted architects and builders across Singapore.
If you live in Singapore and are looking for local landed property builders or architects, welcome to BuildersTalk!